The New Challenges

In 2012 Tracey and I embarked on a series of challenges to raise money for The Haemophilia Society. We had great fun doing it and both felt very fit. So, as we both were slogging up the Mound in the Edinburgh 10 mile run recently, we remarked on how unfit we both were compared to then!

And so Two Tackle Three was resurrected!

Two Tackle Three Take Two (AKA 2T3T2) will see us take on three new challenges each which are crazier and tougher than the first three (although Ventoux was quite tough). We will raise money for an Edinburgh Charity called The Yard. The Yard is a purpose built indoor and outdoor adventure playground for children and young people with disabilities.

Tracey and I have a few links with this amazing facility. One being it has close links with the Childhood Practice Team at Edinburgh College and the second being my late husband, Alistair was involved in providing the yard with their cut down working traffic light, through the BBC Children in Need project, The Big Build.

So Tracey's challenges are -

St Mary Loch Standard Distance Triathlon, Aberfeldy Half Ironman, Glencoe Half Marathon.

And Jane's are -

Windermere Half Marathon, The Moonwalk and the Glencoe Marathon.

We will also be taking part in a variety of other events in preparation for our big challenges.

Our blog will make a welcome return, so you can keep up with our training antics! So please keep up to date. We will let you know soon how you can sponsor us to raise a shed load of cash for The Yard.

Jane and Tracey (Team 2T3T2)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/2T3T2


Thursday 31 May 2012

Janey's running ramblings

With the triathlon less than 2 weeks away now I am now attempting to get my body back to training quicker than I would normally after a marathon. I would normally gently ease myself back into training but needs must.  With a brand new sparkly training schedule to follow for the Glasgow Half Marathon (I do like a training schedule) I headed out the door for a four mile run. That sounds like I was keen to skip out the door but it did take me all day to get my backside in gear and out the door. It was so wet I just could not be bothered. Still went out in the end.

As I was running I was thinking about what one of the boys in the primary class I help had told me this morning. He runs with JogScotland's Junior Joggers and is about 8 years old. The teacher had told the class that I had run the marathon and that I had my medal for them to see. He quietly said to me, whilst I was helping him with his numeracy (stop laughing all who know about my complete lack of maths ability it is only P3 maths!), that he had won the Junior marathon at the weekend. I was very impressed and we chatted about how it had been hot and he asked me if I had used the hydration tablets in with the race number when I was running the marathon. I said that I had used two in my drink and he said he used one but didn't really feel thirsty so they must have worked. I was really impressed with his knowledge of running at only 8 years old. I asked him if he had to stand up on a stage to get his prize for winning. At this point another child joined in and said were you first to which he replied "no, nobody was first we were all winners" and then he told me how a nice lady gave him a medal when he ran over the line. I said to him that was fabulous and asked him if he had really enjoyed himself. He told me he had and that he is maybe going to run the 5K next year. All I could think about was how hung up adults get on times, distance, etc etc and this wee lad was fair pleased that he had won the marathon and there was no discussion about time etc! And so he had - we need to take a leaf out of his book and just enjoy what we do. After lots of years of running I am just chuffed that my body is holding up enough to let me enjoy 5K, 10K, half marathons, marathons, triathlons and trail runs. Quite an exciting life really when I think about it!

Enough rambling, nice run and a swim tomorrow - might even hit the road with my bicycle tomorrow!

don't worry, be happy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment