The New Challenges

In 2012 Tracey and I embarked on a series of challenges to raise money for The Haemophilia Society. We had great fun doing it and both felt very fit. So, as we both were slogging up the Mound in the Edinburgh 10 mile run recently, we remarked on how unfit we both were compared to then!

And so Two Tackle Three was resurrected!

Two Tackle Three Take Two (AKA 2T3T2) will see us take on three new challenges each which are crazier and tougher than the first three (although Ventoux was quite tough). We will raise money for an Edinburgh Charity called The Yard. The Yard is a purpose built indoor and outdoor adventure playground for children and young people with disabilities.

Tracey and I have a few links with this amazing facility. One being it has close links with the Childhood Practice Team at Edinburgh College and the second being my late husband, Alistair was involved in providing the yard with their cut down working traffic light, through the BBC Children in Need project, The Big Build.

So Tracey's challenges are -

St Mary Loch Standard Distance Triathlon, Aberfeldy Half Ironman, Glencoe Half Marathon.

And Jane's are -

Windermere Half Marathon, The Moonwalk and the Glencoe Marathon.

We will also be taking part in a variety of other events in preparation for our big challenges.

Our blog will make a welcome return, so you can keep up with our training antics! So please keep up to date. We will let you know soon how you can sponsor us to raise a shed load of cash for The Yard.

Jane and Tracey (Team 2T3T2)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/2T3T2


Sunday 27 May 2012

Janey's Marvellous Marathon tales!!!!



                                                        What can I say? It was boiling!!!!!

My day started when I met with other Fetchies for an official pre race photo (to follow) and I had a blast with McNewbie (from Manchester) and Speedy Mel (London). What a laugh we had right up until will started running.



It took us at least 15 mins to cross the start line as there were (as far as I know) 27, 000 people running today. My first 6 miles were okay, not too bad, but I could feel the heat building. My Mum and Dad were at Bath Street on the Portobello Prom. It was brilliant to see them as it gives you a real lift when you see people you love come out to cheer you on. The beach looked brilliant today - there were kids everywhere on the beach and even people sunbathing (much better idea on a day like it was today). I got myself to Musselburgh where I met SpicedApple from Fetch (got a big hug from her) again brilliant to see someone who is supporting you. Miles were starting to build by this point, and I was at the Musselburgh Race Course and heading towards Prestonpans. My main job at this point was to try and spot Ann at Port Seton, who is supporting us , unfortunately I couldn't see her (later found out she was cheering her neice and nephew on who were way faster than me and on the way back as I was heading out). Saw Ellem and Smout and others (sorry guys thanks for coming out but I wasn't sure who the others were but I love you all anyway.) Fetch support is amazing - they really gave me a lift.  The miles were really building now and so was the heat. I thought last year in London was really hot but dear knows what the heat was today - it was relentless. Not to mention the fact that someone had stolen the breeze (wind) that Tracey and I always run in at Cramond! It was roasting. As I got to Longniddrie my Ipod started doing really wierd things, I think I had drenched it in water too many times. I was trying to sort out the problem when I was aware of someone running next to me  pushing the coldest bottle of water I had the pleasure to get a hold of today. IT WAS TRACEY!!!!!!!!! I was so chuffed to see her. I mumbled something about being boiling and I just remember her saying "I know, Jane it is horrible". I laughed at that for ages. I kept thinking nobody is making me do this, but she is soooooooooooo right it was pretty horrible at that point. I ran under so many hoses (thank goodness we don't have a hose pipe ban). I decided at that point that I had to plan a strategy to get me to the end as I still had 10 miles to go. So I decided that when I got to 17 miles I would start to use "scouts pace" to get me to the end. So what I did was run for 200 paces and then walk for 100 paces. This was so the right thing to do. I don't think I would have made it to the end otherwise. There were casualties to the heat everywhere. One guy had even got into such a state that we overheard the paramedic saying to him that he had arrived at them delirious, and then had a seizure. They were telling him where he was and what his name was. Not good! But it really was that hot, so easy to have slipped into not having drunk enough and run to fast. So run/walking it was for me.

On the way back past Longniddrie Tracey was still waiting (that really helped Tracey thank you so much) and there seemed to be several other people screaming "Go Jane" (were they with you Tracey?). Tracey then did shout after me "sprint finish Jane" Ha, you have got to be kidding was my retort. This is because we both say we'll do a sprint finish at the end of our lunchtime runs and never really get any faster!! :)

I began to knock off the miles 22, 23 and then I was cheered on by the wonderful Fetchies who had waited on us slow Fetchies coming through(know who you are - thank you for standing boiling in the heat all day it was brilliant to see you all at this point).

Finally 24 came into view, then 25, on my way home now. At this point Tracey's Dr Dasterdley appeared telling me to "just stop running and then the pain will stop" I contemplated this for about two seconds and then banished Dr D to the water and got on with run/walking. As we got back to Musselburgh people starting telling me (and another runner who by this point I was running with) that we were nearly there and it was just around the corner. We were on a straight road with millions of runners stretching out ahead of us. There didn't appear to be a corner!!! The guy I was running with turned to me and very tired said "where the f**k is this b****y corner" All I could do was laugh as I was thinking exactly the same thing - he just voiced it. Then all of a sudden we were there round the corner right enough - it just appeared and there was the finish line. Managed to pull out enough energy to do my customary Fetchie Wingwave, this Fetchie definitely needed to land.




Final time (according to my watch time - official one not in until tomorrow) 5 hours and 29 mins. Quite happy with that considering the heat. You can see from my finisher picture that I am happy to be finished and absolutely nick nacked!!

Alistair produced the best thing at the end of a marathon that I could have - a FLASK OF TEA!!!!!!! He knows me so well. I had been dreaming about a cup of tea since 24 miles.

I am absolutely shattered, sore legs and a bit sun burnt but you know what I am so pleased that I finished and did everyone of our sponsors proud!

Thank you again for all the support you have shown Tracey and I.

don't worry, be happy and go to sleep for a wee while :)




1 comment:

  1. Wel done!! Great time! I couldn't believe how hot it was, and no breeze, what's that all about? The people I was standing with were just random strangers who I kind of hooked up with to shout and clap with! The water was cold as I had 2 ice packs in my panniers keeping it chilled for you! See you tomorrow at work, where you dont need to do anything except drink cups of tea ( you'll need to rehydrate!) but think you should maybe take the lift?

    ReplyDelete