The New Challenges

In 2012 Tracey and I embarked on a series of challenges to raise money for The Haemophilia Society. We had great fun doing it and both felt very fit. So, as we both were slogging up the Mound in the Edinburgh 10 mile run recently, we remarked on how unfit we both were compared to then!

And so Two Tackle Three was resurrected!

Two Tackle Three Take Two (AKA 2T3T2) will see us take on three new challenges each which are crazier and tougher than the first three (although Ventoux was quite tough). We will raise money for an Edinburgh Charity called The Yard. The Yard is a purpose built indoor and outdoor adventure playground for children and young people with disabilities.

Tracey and I have a few links with this amazing facility. One being it has close links with the Childhood Practice Team at Edinburgh College and the second being my late husband, Alistair was involved in providing the yard with their cut down working traffic light, through the BBC Children in Need project, The Big Build.

So Tracey's challenges are -

St Mary Loch Standard Distance Triathlon, Aberfeldy Half Ironman, Glencoe Half Marathon.

And Jane's are -

Windermere Half Marathon, The Moonwalk and the Glencoe Marathon.

We will also be taking part in a variety of other events in preparation for our big challenges.

Our blog will make a welcome return, so you can keep up with our training antics! So please keep up to date. We will let you know soon how you can sponsor us to raise a shed load of cash for The Yard.

Jane and Tracey (Team 2T3T2)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/2T3T2


Sunday 29 April 2012

Janey's running ramblings

I started out in the rain today. It was quite cold and windy but it was okay and I had all my rainy gear on so felt good. Once I got up onto the top road into Edinburgh (the one that runs alongside the Pentlands) the rain came on heavier, the wind got stronger and then to top it off the rain turned into a combination of hailstones and snow. I was absolutely freezing and all I could think about (I know we said we wouldn't swear on here Tracey cos your Mum reads it so sorry Tracey's Mum for what I am about to write, it was so bad out there I need to get it off my chest!) "was how shitty this run was and what the bloody hell was I thinking trying to run yet another Marathon. You have done it four times already - who are you trying to impress." Then After twenty minutes of running into the wind and snow I spotted blue sky over the crest of the next hill. "just got to get to there" I thought to myself. Granted the wind didn't go away and it was still snowing but now I had the sun shining. Aww nice (NOT). Eventually I got to the point where at least I was running downhill into the wind, which was a bit easier on my legs. Downhill for a good couple of miles then the Steading Inn came into view and I knew the worst was over. I stopped at the Garage to get a phone voucher so that I could phone my Dad to let him know when I was nearly at their house later on. Had serious problems trying to type in the number as my hands (despite having gloves on) had frozen solid. Three goes later, and an argument with a computer generated wee man, eventually the voucher took and I could get on my way again. I also had my first taste of my new trial energy food. It is called a Mule Bar and was Summer Pudding flavour. I have gone to energy bar heaven! It was absolutely gorgeous, you would actually just have one of these with a cup of tea sitting on a sofa - a real taste explosion. So going to get more of these.

The next five miles were fairly uneventful, all the way down to the Hermitage and a nice wee doddle through the fairy glen. Then I climbed back up onto Observatory Hill and then down to the Pond at the other of the hill. Took myself over onto South Oswald Road and round all the posh houses. I must have looked a picture by that point - ten miles into the run having been hail stoned all the way from Penicuk. The cherry blossom trees in the Grange are just gorgeous and I ran along catching all the blossom as it dropped. Lovely. Then the hard work started. I ran up past Kings Buildings and then down to the bottom of Liberton Brae. Whilst it is a slog I do feel I am getting stronger and manage to get to the top these days without too much hassle. Turned off at the top of the Brae and along onto the road parallel to this (which I can't remember at the moment) this took me up to Captain's Road and ultimately to the top of the by-pass at Burdiehouse. Now the plan was that I was going to finish at my Mum and Dad's at Loanhead but ended up still five miles short of my 20 miles so had to run to Bilston anyway and then wound my way around Loanhead visiting all my old haunts from when I lived there to make up my 20 miles.

Finally, a bit puggled I got back to the house and then sat and enjoyed a cup of tea. You can keep energy drinks tea does it for me every time.

I am now sitting enjoying Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone with my feet up and another cup of tea. Macaroni Cheese for tea tonight - yum!

don't worry, be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment