The New Challenges

In 2012 Tracey and I embarked on a series of challenges to raise money for The Haemophilia Society. We had great fun doing it and both felt very fit. So, as we both were slogging up the Mound in the Edinburgh 10 mile run recently, we remarked on how unfit we both were compared to then!

And so Two Tackle Three was resurrected!

Two Tackle Three Take Two (AKA 2T3T2) will see us take on three new challenges each which are crazier and tougher than the first three (although Ventoux was quite tough). We will raise money for an Edinburgh Charity called The Yard. The Yard is a purpose built indoor and outdoor adventure playground for children and young people with disabilities.

Tracey and I have a few links with this amazing facility. One being it has close links with the Childhood Practice Team at Edinburgh College and the second being my late husband, Alistair was involved in providing the yard with their cut down working traffic light, through the BBC Children in Need project, The Big Build.

So Tracey's challenges are -

St Mary Loch Standard Distance Triathlon, Aberfeldy Half Ironman, Glencoe Half Marathon.

And Jane's are -

Windermere Half Marathon, The Moonwalk and the Glencoe Marathon.

We will also be taking part in a variety of other events in preparation for our big challenges.

Our blog will make a welcome return, so you can keep up with our training antics! So please keep up to date. We will let you know soon how you can sponsor us to raise a shed load of cash for The Yard.

Jane and Tracey (Team 2T3T2)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/2T3T2


Sunday 15 April 2012

Janey's racing ramblings

Rock and Roll Edinburgh Half Marathon (.http://uk.competitor.com/edinburgh)

To use a word which was completely overused today - it was totally AWESOME!!!!!!

Look at the bling:


The day started with the queue at the gear check and then a bit of a wait in the porta loo queue. There is a bit of a story about how that went but I am so not putting it on the blog. Leave it with the thought that I hope the Queen wasn't looking out at three 40 year old women watering her grass! What's good enough for Paula Radcliffe is good enough for me!

I headed into the number 10 coral which was where my time put me, I was feeling quite good so I moved myself to the front of number 10 and back of number 9 and when we got moving I think I might have moved into number 9. I found myself at the back of the pace marker for 2 hours and 15mins - so thought what the heck going to sit behind that and see if I can pull off a faster time. 



Once we got going I really felt that I was running strong. I tried to keep my pace the same for every mile. We headed down to Leith Links first and then onto Seafield Road. The Forth looked fabulous and you could see all the way over to sunny Fife. We were met at the start of Portobello Prom with a very loud version of The Ace of Spades, Motorhead. (although not actually Motorhead but some local band from Edinburgh). The Prom looked great in the sunshine and it wasn't windy so no sandblasting going on. Did have a giggle to myself as two American runners were doing the old "this is awesome" and all I could think was "it's not exactly Venice Beach!"as we ran past Chaplins Disco and he was DJing in his best Musselburgh accent. We then turned up towards Portobello and back into the city centre. This section was quite hard work, the first part was all cobbles and one woman actually took a tumble, totally faceplanted the ground (ouch). Then we headed to Duddingston and into the park. Up the big hill and round to the front of Arthur's Seat. After lots of climbing we had a fantastic run down Queen's Drive and then just as you caught sight of the finish line, we had to turn back out the park and up the Cowgate (this was tough, I just tried to keep my head down). Got to the Grassmarket and had to run up Lady Lawson Street (another wee tough hill) then turned round into the Meadows. As we came out the Meadows there was a really cool Samba Band with real feathery Carnaval samba dancers - fantastic. Round Potterrow and onto George IV Bridge. This took us over the Mound and down to the Art Gallery, round into Princes Street Gardens and past the Scott Monument. Passed the 12 mile marker here which was absolute bliss to see - only 1 mile to go - whoop whoop! 

Wound our way round to the Royal Mile which was spectacular to run down, swept round past the Palace and the Parliament and then round into the Park. Saw Mum and Dad at the Parliament (a surprise didn't know they were coming in). Then I saw my support crew as I turned into the finishing straight. 


Last run up to the finishing straight, high fived the American Lady who was at the finish line giving it the "good job" and then did my trademark Fetchie wing wave bringing the Fetchie into land over the finish line. Stopped my watch and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PBeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - 2:14:15 (this is my time not my official time, not got that yet).  It has been a really long time since I did it in a time like this. I had lost sight of the 2.15 pace setter when I was going up Arthur's Seat and thought I had slipped back to 2.20. But nooooooooooooooooooo 2.14 yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I got over the line I ran straight into a friend from Penicuik who also had ran the race, I had looked out for her at the beginning and at the end and we both squealed when we ran right into each other. Alia had a fantastic time also, was great to meet up with her. Well done Alia. We were both laughing at the piles of food that we had been handed in the secure zone, so much that we didn't have any hands to eat any of it!!!

Once out of the secure zone, I finally met up with Alistair, the kids and Mum and Dad.


After the race there was a free concert on in the park, a band called Kassidy. 



They were absolutely brilliant. Enjoyed the after race entertainment, spoke to some lovely Fetchies and enjoyed my spectacular race. 




The whole event was totally Awesome!!!

So that is the first challenge over - next one slightly more difficult - only got to double this distance in 7 weeks time - yikes. And don't go thinking I will just have to double the time to get my marathon time, it doesn't work like that - I just get slower.

Will enjoy today's race for today and then get back on with my Marathon training tomorrow - 18 miles next Sunday. Will be heading to Liberton Brae soon Tracey, that's when you and Eilidh come into play with water and jelly babies!!! 

don't worry, be happy :)





1 comment:

  1. It sounds fab! Glad you had a good day, and what a day! A PB and everything! Well done, the marathon will be a breeze!!

    ReplyDelete