The New Challenges

In 2012 Tracey and I embarked on a series of challenges to raise money for The Haemophilia Society. We had great fun doing it and both felt very fit. So, as we both were slogging up the Mound in the Edinburgh 10 mile run recently, we remarked on how unfit we both were compared to then!

And so Two Tackle Three was resurrected!

Two Tackle Three Take Two (AKA 2T3T2) will see us take on three new challenges each which are crazier and tougher than the first three (although Ventoux was quite tough). We will raise money for an Edinburgh Charity called The Yard. The Yard is a purpose built indoor and outdoor adventure playground for children and young people with disabilities.

Tracey and I have a few links with this amazing facility. One being it has close links with the Childhood Practice Team at Edinburgh College and the second being my late husband, Alistair was involved in providing the yard with their cut down working traffic light, through the BBC Children in Need project, The Big Build.

So Tracey's challenges are -

St Mary Loch Standard Distance Triathlon, Aberfeldy Half Ironman, Glencoe Half Marathon.

And Jane's are -

Windermere Half Marathon, The Moonwalk and the Glencoe Marathon.

We will also be taking part in a variety of other events in preparation for our big challenges.

Our blog will make a welcome return, so you can keep up with our training antics! So please keep up to date. We will let you know soon how you can sponsor us to raise a shed load of cash for The Yard.

Jane and Tracey (Team 2T3T2)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/2T3T2


Friday 17 February 2012

get yourself a cup of tea, this is a long post!

Today I got the results of my big diabetes tests. When I was diagnosed back in Oct, the docs were already suggesting medication, and being a stubborn old git, I didn't  want to, so basically I had three months ( the time in between blood glucose testing) to prove to myself and others that I didn't need to use medication and that my blood sugars could be controlled by diet and exercise. Today I'd like to start gloating...just a bit!! The numbers might not mean much, but basically as long as things are going down its good!!

Average blood sugars gone from 63 down to 55 - anything under 57 is good, woo hoo, this is the one I was really worried about
Cholesterol from 6.2 (oh dear!) to 5.2 - still too high but moving in the right direction
BMI from 30.1 down to 28.2 - again still a little high, but going the right way

So I am well chuffed. I might not be out of the woods, but I am certainly on the right path, and not bad in only three months I reckon!! The doc did suggest stattens for my cholesterol as I need to be down at about 4, but I convinced him that if I could reduce it by as much as I have in only 3 months then there was still room for improvement there. I also only found out about the cholesterol in Jan, so think I can definitely improve .

So...a moment to ponder...hearing the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes was frustrating. I wasn't that fat, unfit,old, slovenly! Or so I thought. I had a choice.... I could either sit back, take medication and give up ( in my head that how it would be) or give myself a shake and get on with it! I haven't had any chocolate, puddings or other indulgences since Oct and to be honest I don't really miss them.  I do randomly have cravings for muffins though, although I think that's just when I have a coffee. I have started to really look at eating sensible foods since about Christmas, and since being on my "learn how to be  a diabetic" training day I have also made other adjustments like not drinking fruit juice and eating more beans! The exercise has obviously made a huge difference, will I keep it up after June?...I intend to.
This whole mad endeavour has , for me , been about making changes to improve my health, and I like to think that today is showing that, although its hard work, it does produce results.  I have been motivated to do this for selfish reasons, and if I can also have the added incentive of helping a friend and raising some cash that's even better.
I would like to take a moment to thank Team TJ.......you have all helped me so far......please continue to do so!!
Official Training Partner and side kick - Jane M
Official Sniggerer at my attempts to run -Eilidh
Official Swim coach and suggester of Pool Boy!- Allister
Official Cycling coach/ domestique -Twads
Suppliers of team refreshments( yup, just the wine, and I'm not actually sure how much that helps!)- Carol, Maurice, Stephen and Julie
Official supporters on race days-  even though they are only there cos their parents made them go) Eilidh, Rhona, Kirsten and Rachel

And of course EVERYONE who has donated to the cause so far....We cant thank you enough!
Off to celebrate tonight with a glass of wine...yes, I'm still in denial about that!

1 comment:

  1. You are making me cry!!! so proud of you, my official training partner!!!

    Proud to be part of Team TJ.

    And you have to keep to keep going with this exercise lark cos I have an ultra to run in August - might even need you as part of my support team!! If you are free in August for a weekend.

    ReplyDelete